- Analyzing the metadata of the document to get the baseline information is the first step.
- Secondly, perform a comparative analysis of the metadata of all the documents under the investigation.
- One might get some important information from the source machine. Analyze the event logs if it's a windows machine.
- Look for the email headers if the document is shared via email.
- Use basic common sense in analysis by looking and the OS and the release date of the extension.
How to antedate a document?
- Use Software to change the metadata.
- Changing the computer time before creating an electronic document is another method of antedating, as the metadata for the newly created electronic file will be based on the incorrect setting of the system.